The Taylor Highway provides access to the historic Fortymile gold mining district. It's a narrow winding and beautiful road that joins the Top of the World Highway, which leads to Dawson City, Yukon Territory.
- Keep your camera ready for spectacular views of the Alaska Range and the Mentasta Mountains as you head out of Tetlin Junction.
- Pass through the Fortymile goldfields, made famous in Jack London novels. The Fortymile River system is a National Wild & Scenic River with miles of exciting whitewater.
- Visit Chicken, a town named by early settlers unable to spell Ptarmigan.
- The Top of the World Highway joins the Taylor Highway at Jack Wade junction.
- Continue on to the U.S./Canada border at Boundary, then to Dawson City, 78 miles farther. Look for old mine workings along the way.
Questions about the Scenic Byways web site? firstname.lastname@example.org